Sunday, July 25, 2010

New Ideas and Better Habits


Creativity and new ideas can be elusive at times. I notice that my new ideas (at least the ones I like) have often come when I have a measure of balance in my life. If things are out of whack, for whatever reason, my ideas dry up and the frustration sets in. I’ve recently been experiencing a “dry” period and the new art work has been slower in coming.

So I’m ready to try something new and I’d like to invite you along on this short journey. I remember watching an interview with Andrew Wyeth (I think), where he talked about painting and being in the studio every day. Some days he liked what he was working on and some days not, but the habit of working every day was what grounded him. By comparison, my practice has been to work many (many!) hours in a row, then not for awhile.


So, in the effort to develop better habits and new work I am going to take Wyeth’s lead and try a little experiment. For the next week, I plan to post a new drawing or painting each day.


Stay tuned for the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment